Last Saturday I woke up to wet sidewalks outside my window. I figured a thick layer of fog was responsible for the damp streets, as the fog often is in San Francisco, especially during our summer months. But as I settled down into the chair in my window to do some morning reading, I realized it was actually raining outside — a summer rarity in this neck of the woods, to say the least.
You know how sometimes the rain is horrible and sometimes it’s nice? Well, on Saturday morning it was nice (for me. Rain-soaked Jordan came back from his mountain bike ride a bit soggy.) But, me? I had nothing to do, nowhere to go, and feeling cozy inside while it misted outside gave me the go ahead for a Saturday morning as lazy as they come. I steeped some tea and turned on Mad Men, and then it came to me: I had just organized my closet, giving my knitting needles a new home in my first ever craft drawer. I was going to knit the infinity scarf I never got to last winter. I had the yarn at all.
Though the sun was back out by 2 p.m. on Saturday and I got a sunburn on Sunday, my weekend only got more autumn-feeling from there. I baked banana bread, and went to my first 49ers game ever. So that got me thinking: I kicked quite a few things off my fall activities list for the season this weekend, before I ever even came up with a formal list, which gave me the idea to write a formal list. Fall is the start of craft, party, and baking season for me, and I can’t wait to…
- Bake more of this banana bread. (In the loaf I made over the weekend, I used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream to delicious success.)
Go to a 49ers game.
- Take a day trip to Sonoma for wine tasting as the vines turn color.
- Find a hanging plant for our kitchen.
- Make a creative Halloween costume.
- Get pumpkins from the patch on Highway 1 north of Santa Cruz, like we did when we were kids.
- Bake an apple pie.
- Start watching Newsroom.
- Cook a pre-Thanksgiving dinner with Jordan.
- Take a weekend trip to LA to visit friends.
- Make a photo book out of our Iceland and Norway photos.
- Knit an infinity scarf.
- Do a thousand-piece puzzle.
- Host a game night.
- Put together a bar cart for our kitchen corner.
- Win my Fantasy Football league
Are you ready for fall? What are your fall plans?